Sunday, February 20, 2011

Gnomeo & Juliet Review

Now I am moving away from the negativity of Titan AE onto something positive, on Friday, February 11, this year, the move Gnomeo & Juliet opened in theaters, and from the trailer alone, the movie reminded me of Toy Story.  That is because the garden gnomes, like the toys in Toy Story, stood still when people were present and moved around when nobody was looking.  I knew from the trailer alone, that this movie was anti-war because of the red and blue gnomes being enemies when one male blue and one female red fell in love.  I went to see this movie twice on Tuesday, February 15 and Friday, February 18 and this movie was hilarious and not only that, it is changing my life more than any other film.

For many years, I was for Star Trek and non-Star Trek space things that I like such as the Orion II Starship that I design and against Star Wars, especially the X-Wings, and this movie is putting this feud in my mind to rest.  That is because the blue gnomes remind me of Star Trek heroes and the Orion II while the reds remind me of Star Wars heroes and the X-Wings, and I often saw blue with Star Trek and other things that I like an red with Star Wars.  And that is how this movie changes my life more than any other life-changing movie to date.

This movie is a spin on William Shakespeare's play called Romeo & Juliet, but is about a blue Gnome named Gnomeo (James McAvoy) who falls in love with a red gnome named Juliet (Emily Blunt).  And speaking of William Shakespeare, there is a character who is a bronze or copper statue of William Shakespeare named Bill Shakespeare (Patrick Stewart), the same actor who portrayed Captain Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation (TNG) and the four TNG films.

The story is set in a red and blue house that is actually two houses joined together, one blue and the other red.  The blue gnomes are lead by Gnomeo's mother, Lady Blueberry (Maggie Smith) and the reds are led by Juliet's father, Lord Redbrick (Michael Caine).  Gnomeo's best friend is Benny (Matt Lucas) and his companion is Shroom, a garden mushroom who is like a dog.  Juliet's best friend is a frog statue that squirts water into the pond named Nanette (Ashley Jenson).  Benny throws a snail into the Reds' garden and it lands in the mouth of Gnomeo's arched rival, Tybalt (Jason Statham), and the reds get all pissed off at the blues.

Tybalt and Gnomeo have a lawn mower race and they are told not to cheat, but Tybalt cheats anyway and destroys Gnomeo's lawn mower.  Tybalt's best friend is a concrete deer named Fawn (Ozzy Osbourne) who has a John mouth and bad attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment